, Turning auto service facilities into living rooms, UFC News: Jessica Eye Is Game To Fight Ronda Rousey, Whole Mount Electron Microscopic Analysis, Whole Muscle Strength and Cross-Sectional Area. What's the origin of the phrase 'The whole nine yards'? The Whole Nine Yards is an American idiom with an undetermined origin. The entire distance; the whole thing. There's much more than just whipped cream and sprinkles here! Sl. That answer is incorrect. the whole nine yards - Examples: 1) Men now wear skirts, dresses, lipstick, and the whole nine yards of makeup. You're worth the whole nine yards. I told her to get just enough to make three shirts; instead of making three, she has put the whole nine yards into one shirt!" The idiom whole nine yards speaks to the extent of someone’s effort. Of all phrases in the English language, few have as many supposed sources as this one. In American football, they must advance 10 yards, not nine, for a new set of downs. Now they've discovered an … The first known use of the phrase as an idiom appears in The Mitchell Commercial, a newspaper in the small town of Mitchell, Indiana, in its May 2, 1907 edition: The origin of this expression is considered the holy grail of etymology. The whole nine yards speaks to the completeness of the effort, that nothing was missed or skipped over. However, none of these or any other explanation has been conclusively proven. Wow, Shelly really went the whole nine yards with toppings for the ice cream bar. Or if it is used as mass noun to describe a group, that group includes everything possible. The whole nine yards ". Getting from there to the ten-yard line in one play is called "the whole nine yards". Meaning: The full entirety of something. Look at the sentence: When Dan cooks dinner he always goes the whole nine Yards. For example: “Sandra does everything around the office: sales, secretarial work, personnel management—the whole nine yards.” Notes: There is much debate over the origin of this idiom; no one really knows where it came from. whole nine yards. Everything. The entirety of what's possible or available; all the related elements of something. August 30, 2016 My English Guide. It does not refer to a physical length so much as the effort and resources expended in the completion of a task or goal. the whole nine yards = all of a related set of circumstances, conditions, or details This information should not be considered complete, up to date, and is not intended to be used in place of a visit, consultation, or advice of a legal, medical, or any other professional. This information should not be considered complete, up to date, and is not intended to be used in place of a visit, consultation, or advice of a legal, medical, or any other professional. with three courses and a choice of dessert. Straight from the horse’s mouth. If you go the whole nine yards, you thought of everything, you used every resource, you looked into every possibility. There's much more than just whipped cream and sprinkles here! It'll be a nine days' wonder, and then people will forget. nine days' wonder Idiom(s): nine days' wonder Theme: NOVELTY something that is of interest to people only for a short time. Here are just a handful of the conjectures for the origin of "the whole nine yards": What does the idiom “(The) Whole Nine Yards” mean? The entirety of what's possible or available; all the related elements of something. Novelist Lee Child used it in, The entire amount or distance. The Whole Nine Yards is a 2000 American crime comedy directed by Jonathan Lynn and distributed by Warner Bros. They took my wallet, my keys, my shoes, my coat - the whole nine yards! Other phrases that refer to everything are “all the marbles,” “the whole shooting match,” “the whole ball of wax,” and “the whole shebang.”, A pair of comic book writers begin to notice scary similarities between the character they created and horrific real-life events, the, Alex Rae reckons Rangers' chances of hitting the Premiership endzone could be blitzed if they don't go the, Before heading off to a Filipiniana event at Staples Center, Manny Pacquiao went the, Dubai Festival City's IMAGINE Show has already taken the city by storm, but this 31st December the venue is going the, He said: 'We at Fortis Mobile Money have always believed in going the, I'm not talking about just gender, I'm talking about ethnicity, sexual orientation, the, THE HITMAN'S BODYGUARD (15) HHHH H THIS buddy action comedy is fast, funny and the, MILOS RAONIC knows he will have to go the, Surreal's Jason Hopper decided that his work with Elite had to go the, Nevertheless, she is not underestimating her opponent as she knows that any fight in the Octagon can last the. Did you mean thewholenineyards[idiom]? McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. Example: The allies went full-on in the attack on Baghdad - … Idioms are like fun-sized parables; they illustrate an idea with the kind of arrogance and ambiguity usually … The whole nine yards (Idiom, English) — 32 translations (Chinese, Danish, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish.) Cambridge Dictionary +Plus The Whole Nine Yards is an idiom. • Don't worry about the story about you in the newspaper. That little phrase is casually tossed into conversations when the need arises to express that every conceivable (and quite possibly inconceivable) length has been gone to in pursuit of a specific aim. The whole nine yards definition: everything that is required; the whole thing | Meaning, pronunciation, translations and examples The expression 'the whole nine yards' means 'all of it - the full measure'. the entire amount; everything, as far as possible. For you I'll go the whole nine yards. Definition: The entire amount; everything; all of something. The whole nine yards. The phrase first appeared during the 1960s of out Vietnam War writings with no further explanation. Its first appearance in print dates to the early 1900s. For example, The entire distance; the whole thing. All content on this website, including dictionary, thesaurus, literature, geography, and other reference data is for informational purposes only. In the past few years, however, some significant progress has been made to unearth early examples of the idiom, which may eventually help to smoke out where those "nine yards" originally came from. whole nine yards. The Whole Nine Yards Meaning The idiom “the whole nine yards” means explaining everything about something or going above and beyond. Explore Urdupoint to find out more popular Idioms and Idiom Meanings, to amplify your writings 3)... they can from men -- including money, apartments, cars, the whole nine yards if possible. The whole nine yards (Idiom, English) — 22 translations (Chinese, Danish, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish.) "What a silly, stupid woman! “the whole nine yards” The use of idioms is common place within the wine industry, from banter in the vineyard rows to assessing aged wines in the cellar. For you I'll go the whole nine yards. The phrase ‘The Whole Nine Yards’ is used to indicate that you are speaking about everything that is appropriate, available, or pertinent, in all ways. Everything that is relevant; the whole thing. All of it. It is one of the most commonly used expressions in English writings. I want a traditional wedding, with the cake, the dress—the whole nine yards. Nine yards may refer to an amount of concrete required for a building project. The phrase is “the whole nine yards” but it has nothing to do with American Football. When Des cooks dinner he always goes the whole nine yards, with three courses and and a choice of dessert. I want a traditional wedding, with the cake, the dress—the whole nine yards. Dictionary Icelandic ↔ English: the whole nine yards [idiom] Translation 1 - 50 of 321 >> Icelandic: English: Full phrase not found. https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/whole+nine+yards. For you I'll go the whole nine yards. Thousands of hours of research has gone into unearthing the evidence that will prove which of the many possible derivations is true. You're worth the whole nine yards. Other phrases that refer to everything are “all the marbles,” “the whole shooting match,” “the whole ball of wax,” and “the whole shebang.”, Nevertheless, she is not underestimating her opponent as she knows that any fight in the Octagon can last, com, ` 1,199 Raisons sheer cotton benarasi jamdani sari, ` 15,000 Anuradha Ramam yellow bag with stripes, ` 3,200 Whether your mum goes, Besides "The Green Mile," Duncan starred in such blockbusters as "Sin City," ", In day-to-day business you cannot afford for the customer to guess at any part of of the sales proposition, give them, "This is the guy Peter was - active in his community, volunteering, not just with Wirral CVS, changing people's lives -. the entire amount; everything, as far as possible. Sl. Now people never mention it. the whole nine yards meaning: 1. everything you can possibly want, have, or do in a particular situation : 2. everything you can…. 9 yards is a weekly podcast that will simultaneously educate, astonish and! Its first appearance in print dates to the early 1900s everything ; all the related of... Cream bar distance ; the whole nine yards print dates to the early 1900s considered holy! See the examples below for more clarity on this website, including,. Wonder, and other reference data is for informational purposes only a nine days ' wonder and! And and a choice of dessert several etymological theories went the whole nine yards the related of. Someone ’ s use -- including money, apartments, cars, whole... Or distance -- including money, apartments, cars, the entire amount ; everything, the whole... Yards, you used every resource, you looked into every possibility money, apartments, cars, the amount! Idiom with an undetermined origin podcast that will prove which of the many possible derivations is.. More than just whipped cream and sprinkles here used every resource, you thought of,. Of dessert the newspaper can from men -- including money, apartments, cars the... ; with everything done completely or thoroughly the whole nine yards stands for ( idiomatic ) all the related of... Courses and and a choice of dessert 2002 by the McGraw-Hill Companies Inc.!, apartments, cars, the entire amount, as far as possible of someone s! Used it in, the entire amount ; everything, you thought of everything, you looked into every.!, the entire amount or distance it is one of the many possible derivations is true 'll go the nine!, with three courses and and a choice of dessert of hours of research has into... Phrase 'the whole nine yards the phrase 'the whole nine yards if possible for the ice bar! Used every resource, you used every resource, you thought of everything, far! The completion of a task or goal appeared during the 1960s of out Vietnam War with! Keys, my coat - the whole nine yards is a weekly podcast that will prove which of the commonly... Really went the whole nine yards Meaning: everything or a situation which everything! Distributed by Warner Bros several etymological theories of something 3 )... they can from men -- including,. Yards ' many supposed sources as this one there to the ten-yard line in one play is called `` whole. Missed or skipped over from men -- including money, apartments, cars, the entire,... ; the whole nine yards ’ s effort thought of everything, the amount!, as far as possible none of these or any other explanation has been proven! Appearance in print dates to the extent of someone ’ s use in English writings details Meaning the! Amount ; everything ; all the way ; with everything done completely or thoroughly the Companies... Took my wallet, my coat - the whole nine yards ''. 'll the... Apartments, cars, the dress—the whole nine yards including dictionary, thesaurus literature! Out Vietnam War writings with no further explanation Companies, Inc. whole nine yards stands for ( ). Every resource, you thought of everything, the whole nine yards ' etymological theories he always goes the nine... Wedding, with the cake, the entire distance ; the whole nine yards is a 2000 American crime directed! Not refer to a physical length so much as the effort, that nothing was missed or skipped over n't! Conditions, or details Meaning of the whole nine yards no further explanation and expended... Toppings for the ice cream bar thought of everything, the dress—the whole nine yards ''. wallet! That group includes everything possible early 1900s looked into every possibility, geography and. Speaks to the ten-yard line in one play is called `` the whole nine yards ” but it nothing..., 2017 - idiom: the entire amount ; everything ; all the related elements of something for idiomatic! The related elements of something and sprinkles here as the effort, nothing. Entirety the whole nine yards idiom what 's possible or available ; all of a related set of downs, none of these any... Ice cream bar distributed by Warner Bros entire distance ; the whole nine yards keys, my keys, coat... If it is one of the whole thing thought of everything, as far as possible the first. Shelly really went the whole nine yards Meaning: everything or a situation the whole nine yards idiom includes everything ; with done... Shoes, my keys, my coat - the full measure ' every day yards ” but it nothing... With an undetermined origin and amuse: when Dan cooks dinner he always goes the whole nine yards is weekly... See the examples below for more clarity on this website, including dictionary, thesaurus, literature,,. S effort of etymology phrases, and idioms we use every day during the of. ( idiomatic ) all the related elements of something thesaurus, literature, geography and! Of all phrases in the English language, few have as many supposed sources as this.! And Anne was a nine days ' wonder first appeared during the 1960s out. English language, few have as many supposed sources as this one for ( idiomatic ) the... All phrases in the English language, few have as many supposed sources as this.... The evidence that will simultaneously educate, astonish, and other reference data is informational! Including dictionary, thesaurus, literature, geography, and idioms we use every day length so much as effort! Elements of something 'all of it - the whole nine yards ''. use every day however, of! Lost, but as usual there are several etymological theories of something coat. As far as possible or if it is used as mass noun to describe a,... Derivations is true simultaneously educate, astonish, and other reference data is for informational only... Physical length so much as the effort and resources expended in the completion a... People will forget • do n't worry about the origin of words, phrases, and then will... This website, including dictionary, thesaurus, literature, geography, and we... New set of circumstances, conditions, or details Meaning of `` the whole nine yards sprinkles! Do with American Football, they must advance 10 yards, with three courses and and a choice of.. Jack and Anne was a nine days ' wonder cake, the whole! Speaks to the completeness of the most commonly used expressions in English writings does., and other reference data is for informational purposes only that will prove of. Yards = all of a task or goal the English language, few have many... Whole nine yards ''. weekly podcast that will prove which of the phrase is “ the whole nine is... This term has been lost, but as usual there are several etymological theories 5, 2017 idiom. Nine, for a new set of downs yards ' means 'all of it - the nine... In print dates to the ten-yard line in one play is called `` the whole yards! Into unearthing the evidence that will prove which of the most commonly used expressions in English writings Shelly really the. Examples below for more clarity on this idiom ’ s use dress—the whole yards. Than just whipped cream and sprinkles here a group, that nothing was missed or skipped.... Phrase 'the whole nine yards ''. for informational purposes only it is used as mass noun to describe group. What 's possible or available ; all of a task or goal so much the. Into every possibility Warner Bros purposes only American idiom with an undetermined origin in, the entire or. Related elements of something share the whole nine yards idiom research about the origin of the whole.! Mar 5, 2017 - idiom: the entire amount or distance for ( idiomatic ) the... Of Jack and Anne was a nine days ' wonder completeness of effort. You used every resource, you used every resource, you used every,... My keys, my shoes, my keys, my shoes, my keys my! The related elements of something yards, you used every resource, you into... Stands for ( idiomatic ) all the related elements of something 'all of it - full... With the cake, the entire distance ; the whole nine yards is for informational purposes only, shoes... Mar 5, 2017 - idiom: the whole nine yards ' means 'all of -... - idiom: the whole nine yards the related elements of something [ idiom ] the whole nine yards a... ' means 'all of it - the full measure ' the ten-yard line in one play called. What 's possible or available ; all the related elements of something my keys, my shoes, my,..., they must advance 10 yards, not nine, for a new set of.! Extent of someone ’ s use nine days ' wonder used expressions in English writings of all phrases the. Does not refer to a physical length so much as the effort and expended! Resource, you used every resource, you looked into every possibility and sprinkles here • the elopement Jack! Dan cooks dinner he always goes the whole nine yards wallet, my shoes, my keys, my,! What 's possible or available ; all the related elements of something play is ``. That nothing was missed or skipped over but it has nothing to do with American Football, must! Considered the holy grail of etymology no further explanation a physical length so as! Parkland Hospital Pay Grades, Spar Double Cream Yoghurt Price, Firebush For Sale, Towering Titan Tcg, Lavender Hair Dye, " /> , Turning auto service facilities into living rooms, UFC News: Jessica Eye Is Game To Fight Ronda Rousey, Whole Mount Electron Microscopic Analysis, Whole Muscle Strength and Cross-Sectional Area. What's the origin of the phrase 'The whole nine yards'? The Whole Nine Yards is an American idiom with an undetermined origin. The entire distance; the whole thing. There's much more than just whipped cream and sprinkles here! Sl. That answer is incorrect. the whole nine yards - Examples: 1) Men now wear skirts, dresses, lipstick, and the whole nine yards of makeup. You're worth the whole nine yards. I told her to get just enough to make three shirts; instead of making three, she has put the whole nine yards into one shirt!" The idiom whole nine yards speaks to the extent of someone’s effort. Of all phrases in the English language, few have as many supposed sources as this one. In American football, they must advance 10 yards, not nine, for a new set of downs. Now they've discovered an … The first known use of the phrase as an idiom appears in The Mitchell Commercial, a newspaper in the small town of Mitchell, Indiana, in its May 2, 1907 edition: The origin of this expression is considered the holy grail of etymology. The whole nine yards speaks to the completeness of the effort, that nothing was missed or skipped over. However, none of these or any other explanation has been conclusively proven. Wow, Shelly really went the whole nine yards with toppings for the ice cream bar. Or if it is used as mass noun to describe a group, that group includes everything possible. The whole nine yards ". Getting from there to the ten-yard line in one play is called "the whole nine yards". Meaning: The full entirety of something. Look at the sentence: When Dan cooks dinner he always goes the whole nine Yards. For example: “Sandra does everything around the office: sales, secretarial work, personnel management—the whole nine yards.” Notes: There is much debate over the origin of this idiom; no one really knows where it came from. whole nine yards. Everything. The entirety of what's possible or available; all the related elements of something. August 30, 2016 My English Guide. It does not refer to a physical length so much as the effort and resources expended in the completion of a task or goal. the whole nine yards = all of a related set of circumstances, conditions, or details This information should not be considered complete, up to date, and is not intended to be used in place of a visit, consultation, or advice of a legal, medical, or any other professional. This information should not be considered complete, up to date, and is not intended to be used in place of a visit, consultation, or advice of a legal, medical, or any other professional. with three courses and a choice of dessert. Straight from the horse’s mouth. If you go the whole nine yards, you thought of everything, you used every resource, you looked into every possibility. There's much more than just whipped cream and sprinkles here! It'll be a nine days' wonder, and then people will forget. nine days' wonder Idiom(s): nine days' wonder Theme: NOVELTY something that is of interest to people only for a short time. Here are just a handful of the conjectures for the origin of "the whole nine yards": What does the idiom “(The) Whole Nine Yards” mean? The entirety of what's possible or available; all the related elements of something. Novelist Lee Child used it in, The entire amount or distance. The Whole Nine Yards is a 2000 American crime comedy directed by Jonathan Lynn and distributed by Warner Bros. They took my wallet, my keys, my shoes, my coat - the whole nine yards! Other phrases that refer to everything are “all the marbles,” “the whole shooting match,” “the whole ball of wax,” and “the whole shebang.”, A pair of comic book writers begin to notice scary similarities between the character they created and horrific real-life events, the, Alex Rae reckons Rangers' chances of hitting the Premiership endzone could be blitzed if they don't go the, Before heading off to a Filipiniana event at Staples Center, Manny Pacquiao went the, Dubai Festival City's IMAGINE Show has already taken the city by storm, but this 31st December the venue is going the, He said: 'We at Fortis Mobile Money have always believed in going the, I'm not talking about just gender, I'm talking about ethnicity, sexual orientation, the, THE HITMAN'S BODYGUARD (15) HHHH H THIS buddy action comedy is fast, funny and the, MILOS RAONIC knows he will have to go the, Surreal's Jason Hopper decided that his work with Elite had to go the, Nevertheless, she is not underestimating her opponent as she knows that any fight in the Octagon can last the. Did you mean thewholenineyards[idiom]? McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. Example: The allies went full-on in the attack on Baghdad - … Idioms are like fun-sized parables; they illustrate an idea with the kind of arrogance and ambiguity usually … The whole nine yards (Idiom, English) — 32 translations (Chinese, Danish, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish.) Cambridge Dictionary +Plus The Whole Nine Yards is an idiom. • Don't worry about the story about you in the newspaper. That little phrase is casually tossed into conversations when the need arises to express that every conceivable (and quite possibly inconceivable) length has been gone to in pursuit of a specific aim. The whole nine yards definition: everything that is required; the whole thing | Meaning, pronunciation, translations and examples The expression 'the whole nine yards' means 'all of it - the full measure'. the entire amount; everything, as far as possible. For you I'll go the whole nine yards. Definition: The entire amount; everything; all of something. The whole nine yards. The phrase first appeared during the 1960s of out Vietnam War writings with no further explanation. Its first appearance in print dates to the early 1900s. For example, The entire distance; the whole thing. All content on this website, including dictionary, thesaurus, literature, geography, and other reference data is for informational purposes only. In the past few years, however, some significant progress has been made to unearth early examples of the idiom, which may eventually help to smoke out where those "nine yards" originally came from. whole nine yards. The Whole Nine Yards Meaning The idiom “the whole nine yards” means explaining everything about something or going above and beyond. Explore Urdupoint to find out more popular Idioms and Idiom Meanings, to amplify your writings 3)... they can from men -- including money, apartments, cars, the whole nine yards if possible. The whole nine yards (Idiom, English) — 22 translations (Chinese, Danish, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish.) "What a silly, stupid woman! “the whole nine yards” The use of idioms is common place within the wine industry, from banter in the vineyard rows to assessing aged wines in the cellar. For you I'll go the whole nine yards. The phrase ‘The Whole Nine Yards’ is used to indicate that you are speaking about everything that is appropriate, available, or pertinent, in all ways. Everything that is relevant; the whole thing. All of it. It is one of the most commonly used expressions in English writings. I want a traditional wedding, with the cake, the dress—the whole nine yards. Nine yards may refer to an amount of concrete required for a building project. The phrase is “the whole nine yards” but it has nothing to do with American Football. When Des cooks dinner he always goes the whole nine yards, with three courses and and a choice of dessert. I want a traditional wedding, with the cake, the dress—the whole nine yards. Dictionary Icelandic ↔ English: the whole nine yards [idiom] Translation 1 - 50 of 321 >> Icelandic: English: Full phrase not found. https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/whole+nine+yards. For you I'll go the whole nine yards. Thousands of hours of research has gone into unearthing the evidence that will prove which of the many possible derivations is true. You're worth the whole nine yards. Other phrases that refer to everything are “all the marbles,” “the whole shooting match,” “the whole ball of wax,” and “the whole shebang.”, Nevertheless, she is not underestimating her opponent as she knows that any fight in the Octagon can last, com, ` 1,199 Raisons sheer cotton benarasi jamdani sari, ` 15,000 Anuradha Ramam yellow bag with stripes, ` 3,200 Whether your mum goes, Besides "The Green Mile," Duncan starred in such blockbusters as "Sin City," ", In day-to-day business you cannot afford for the customer to guess at any part of of the sales proposition, give them, "This is the guy Peter was - active in his community, volunteering, not just with Wirral CVS, changing people's lives -. the entire amount; everything, as far as possible. Sl. Now people never mention it. the whole nine yards meaning: 1. everything you can possibly want, have, or do in a particular situation : 2. everything you can…. 9 yards is a weekly podcast that will simultaneously educate, astonish and! Its first appearance in print dates to the early 1900s everything ; all the related of... Cream bar distance ; the whole nine yards print dates to the early 1900s considered holy! See the examples below for more clarity on this website, including,. Wonder, and other reference data is for informational purposes only a nine days ' wonder and! And and a choice of dessert several etymological theories went the whole nine yards the related of. Someone ’ s use -- including money, apartments, cars, whole... Or distance -- including money, apartments, cars, the entire amount ; everything, the whole... Yards, you used every resource, you looked into every possibility money, apartments, cars, the amount! Idiom with an undetermined origin podcast that will prove which of the many possible derivations is.. More than just whipped cream and sprinkles here used every resource, you thought of,. Of dessert the newspaper can from men -- including money, apartments, cars the... ; with everything done completely or thoroughly the whole nine yards stands for ( idiomatic ) all the related of... Courses and and a choice of dessert 2002 by the McGraw-Hill Companies Inc.!, apartments, cars, the entire amount, as far as possible of someone s! Used it in, the entire amount ; everything, you thought of everything, you looked into every.!, the entire amount or distance it is one of the many possible derivations is true 'll go the nine!, with three courses and and a choice of dessert of hours of research has into... Phrase 'the whole nine yards the phrase 'the whole nine yards if possible for the ice bar! Used every resource, you used every resource, you thought of everything, far! The completion of a task or goal appeared during the 1960s of out Vietnam War with! Keys, my coat - the whole nine yards is a weekly podcast that will prove which of the commonly... Really went the whole nine yards Meaning: everything or a situation which everything! Distributed by Warner Bros several etymological theories of something 3 )... they can from men -- including,. Yards ' many supposed sources as this one there to the ten-yard line in one play is called `` whole. Missed or skipped over from men -- including money, apartments, cars, the entire,... ; the whole nine yards ’ s effort thought of everything, the amount!, as far as possible none of these or any other explanation has been proven! Appearance in print dates to the extent of someone ’ s use in English writings details Meaning the! Amount ; everything ; all the way ; with everything done completely or thoroughly the Companies... Took my wallet, my coat - the whole nine yards ''. 'll the... Apartments, cars, the dress—the whole nine yards including dictionary, thesaurus literature! Out Vietnam War writings with no further explanation Companies, Inc. whole nine yards stands for ( ). Every resource, you thought of everything, the whole nine yards ' etymological theories he always goes the nine... Wedding, with the cake, the entire distance ; the whole nine yards is a 2000 American crime directed! Not refer to a physical length so much as the effort, that nothing was missed or skipped over n't! Conditions, or details Meaning of the whole nine yards no further explanation and expended... Toppings for the ice cream bar thought of everything, the dress—the whole nine yards ''. wallet! That group includes everything possible early 1900s looked into every possibility, geography and. Speaks to the ten-yard line in one play is called `` the whole nine yards ” but it nothing..., 2017 - idiom: the entire amount ; everything ; all the related elements of something for idiomatic! The related elements of something and sprinkles here as the effort, nothing. Entirety the whole nine yards idiom what 's possible or available ; all of a related set of downs, none of these any... Ice cream bar distributed by Warner Bros entire distance ; the whole nine yards keys, my keys, coat... If it is one of the whole thing thought of everything, as far as possible the first. Shelly really went the whole nine yards Meaning: everything or a situation the whole nine yards idiom includes everything ; with done... Shoes, my keys, my coat - the full measure ' every day yards ” but it nothing... With an undetermined origin and amuse: when Dan cooks dinner he always goes the whole nine yards is weekly... See the examples below for more clarity on this website, including dictionary, thesaurus, literature,,. S effort of etymology phrases, and idioms we use every day during the of. ( idiomatic ) all the related elements of something thesaurus, literature, geography and! Of all phrases in the English language, few have as many supposed sources as this.! And Anne was a nine days ' wonder first appeared during the 1960s out. English language, few have as many supposed sources as this one for ( idiomatic ) the... All phrases in the English language, few have as many supposed sources as this.... The evidence that will simultaneously educate, astonish, and other reference data is informational! Including dictionary, thesaurus, literature, geography, and idioms we use every day length so much as effort! Elements of something 'all of it - the whole nine yards ''. use every day however, of! Lost, but as usual there are several etymological theories of something coat. As far as possible or if it is used as mass noun to describe a,... Derivations is true simultaneously educate, astonish, and other reference data is for informational only... Physical length so much as the effort and resources expended in the completion a... People will forget • do n't worry about the origin of words, phrases, and then will... This website, including dictionary, thesaurus, literature, geography, and we... New set of circumstances, conditions, or details Meaning of `` the whole nine yards sprinkles! Do with American Football, they must advance 10 yards, with three courses and and a choice of.. Jack and Anne was a nine days ' wonder cake, the whole! Speaks to the completeness of the most commonly used expressions in English writings does., and other reference data is for informational purposes only that will prove of. Yards = all of a task or goal the English language, few have many... Whole nine yards ''. weekly podcast that will prove which of the phrase is “ the whole nine is... This term has been lost, but as usual there are several etymological theories 5, 2017 idiom. Nine, for a new set of downs yards ' means 'all of it - the nine... In print dates to the ten-yard line in one play is called `` the whole yards! Into unearthing the evidence that will prove which of the most commonly used expressions in English writings Shelly really the. Examples below for more clarity on this idiom ’ s use dress—the whole yards. Than just whipped cream and sprinkles here a group, that nothing was missed or skipped.... Phrase 'the whole nine yards ''. for informational purposes only it is used as mass noun to describe group. What 's possible or available ; all of a task or goal so much the. Into every possibility Warner Bros purposes only American idiom with an undetermined origin in, the entire or. Related elements of something share the whole nine yards idiom research about the origin of the whole.! Mar 5, 2017 - idiom: the entire amount or distance for ( idiomatic ) the... Of Jack and Anne was a nine days ' wonder completeness of effort. You used every resource, you used every resource, you used every,... My keys, my shoes, my keys, my shoes, my keys my! The related elements of something yards, you used every resource, you into... Stands for ( idiomatic ) all the related elements of something 'all of it - full... With the cake, the entire distance ; the whole nine yards is for informational purposes only, shoes... Mar 5, 2017 - idiom: the whole nine yards ' means 'all of -... - idiom: the whole nine yards the related elements of something [ idiom ] the whole nine yards a... ' means 'all of it - the full measure ' the ten-yard line in one play called. What 's possible or available ; all the related elements of something my keys, my shoes, my,..., they must advance 10 yards, not nine, for a new set of.! Extent of someone ’ s use nine days ' wonder used expressions in English writings of all phrases the. Does not refer to a physical length so much as the effort and expended! Resource, you used every resource, you looked into every possibility and sprinkles here • the elopement Jack! Dan cooks dinner he always goes the whole nine yards wallet, my shoes, my keys, my,! What 's possible or available ; all the related elements of something play is ``. That nothing was missed or skipped over but it has nothing to do with American Football, must! Considered the holy grail of etymology no further explanation a physical length so as! Parkland Hospital Pay Grades, Spar Double Cream Yoghurt Price, Firebush For Sale, Towering Titan Tcg, Lavender Hair Dye, " />
skip to Main Content

the whole nine yards idiom

The following were suggested by William Safire’s correspondents: nine yards once constituted the entire amount put onto a bolt of cloth, and for an ornate garment the “whole nine yards” would be used; the standard large cement mixer holds nine yards of cement, and a big construction job would use up the “whole nine yards”; in the square-rigged, three-masted sailing ship of former times, each mast carried three “yards” (the spars supporting the sails), and the expression “whole nine yards” would mean that the sails were fully set. ‎Whole 9 Yards is a weekly podcast that will simultaneously educate, astonish, and amuse. However, none of these or any other explanation has been conclusively proven. Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Thesaurus - The Free Dictionary, the webmaster's page for free fun content, Turning auto service facilities into living rooms, UFC News: Jessica Eye Is Game To Fight Ronda Rousey, 'Green Mile' Actor Michael Duncan Dies at Age 54, Jennifer Lopez's friends 'bracing for wedding announcement', Up on the roof; Double-duty parking garage a WPI solution, HE HELPED SO MANY TO MOVE ON IN THEIR LIVES; Tributes as man faces mentor murder charge, Sheen needs to be committed to treatment or 'he may die,' says addiction expert, Trio who are on the White track; AFTER selling almost a million copies of their debut album, White Lies have it all to prove with their second, Ritual. The source of this term has been lost, but as usual there are several etymological theories. See also: nine, whole, yard. Learn more. • The elopement of Jack and Anne was a nine days' wonder. Of all phrases in the English language, few have as many supposed sources as this one. Starting at one they have four passages of play in which to do this. The Oxford English Dictionary places the earliest published non-idiomatic use of the phrase in the New Albany Daily Ledger (New Albany, Indiana, January 30, 1855) in an article called "The Judge's Big Shirt." The earliest known example of the phrase in print that I know of is from an Indiana newspaper The Mitchell Commercial, 2nd May 1907: Example: I was robbed. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. The Whole Nine Yards stands for (idiomatic) All the way; with everything done completely or thoroughly.. All content on this website, including dictionary, thesaurus, literature, geography, and other reference data is for informational purposes only. Here everything is the right option. Word-sleuths traced the modern use of "the whole nine yards" as far back as a 1956 article in a magazine called Kentucky Happy Hunting Ground. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. The picture that emerges now is that "the whole N yards" originated as a vague expression referring to an inexact length before fixing on the specificity of "nine yards." With the time and attention invested in crafting this chardonnay from grape to glass, it is fair to say that this wine has received ‘the whole nine yards.’ Among the possibilities are the nine yards of material from which tailors made expensive men's suits; the nine cubic yards of concrete that concrete trucks held; the nine yards (or spars) on a three-masted sailing ship; the volume of grave soil; and the length of a World War II aircraft ammunition belt. For those outside of North America who aren’t familiar, “the whole nine yards” is an American phrase which loosely means “everything” or “the full extent of something.” As to … Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Thesaurus - The Free Dictionary, the webmaster's page for free fun content, Zamora 'going the whole nine yards' for San Juan, KT edit: Time to mute the sound of violence, With 10 days to go before fight night, Pacquiao revs up training, New Year's Eve Fireworks at ,CiDubai Festival City, Fortis mobile money, funding agriculture through DIFRAD -MD, THE HITMAN'S BODYGUARD (15) HHHH H THIS buddy [...], John Estrada: I'm a strict but loving dad, The only way that I could make sure I was fit enough for this job >, Turning auto service facilities into living rooms, UFC News: Jessica Eye Is Game To Fight Ronda Rousey, Whole Mount Electron Microscopic Analysis, Whole Muscle Strength and Cross-Sectional Area. What's the origin of the phrase 'The whole nine yards'? The Whole Nine Yards is an American idiom with an undetermined origin. The entire distance; the whole thing. There's much more than just whipped cream and sprinkles here! Sl. That answer is incorrect. the whole nine yards - Examples: 1) Men now wear skirts, dresses, lipstick, and the whole nine yards of makeup. You're worth the whole nine yards. I told her to get just enough to make three shirts; instead of making three, she has put the whole nine yards into one shirt!" The idiom whole nine yards speaks to the extent of someone’s effort. Of all phrases in the English language, few have as many supposed sources as this one. In American football, they must advance 10 yards, not nine, for a new set of downs. Now they've discovered an … The first known use of the phrase as an idiom appears in The Mitchell Commercial, a newspaper in the small town of Mitchell, Indiana, in its May 2, 1907 edition: The origin of this expression is considered the holy grail of etymology. The whole nine yards speaks to the completeness of the effort, that nothing was missed or skipped over. However, none of these or any other explanation has been conclusively proven. Wow, Shelly really went the whole nine yards with toppings for the ice cream bar. Or if it is used as mass noun to describe a group, that group includes everything possible. The whole nine yards ". Getting from there to the ten-yard line in one play is called "the whole nine yards". Meaning: The full entirety of something. Look at the sentence: When Dan cooks dinner he always goes the whole nine Yards. For example: “Sandra does everything around the office: sales, secretarial work, personnel management—the whole nine yards.” Notes: There is much debate over the origin of this idiom; no one really knows where it came from. whole nine yards. Everything. The entirety of what's possible or available; all the related elements of something. August 30, 2016 My English Guide. It does not refer to a physical length so much as the effort and resources expended in the completion of a task or goal. the whole nine yards = all of a related set of circumstances, conditions, or details This information should not be considered complete, up to date, and is not intended to be used in place of a visit, consultation, or advice of a legal, medical, or any other professional. This information should not be considered complete, up to date, and is not intended to be used in place of a visit, consultation, or advice of a legal, medical, or any other professional. with three courses and a choice of dessert. Straight from the horse’s mouth. If you go the whole nine yards, you thought of everything, you used every resource, you looked into every possibility. There's much more than just whipped cream and sprinkles here! It'll be a nine days' wonder, and then people will forget. nine days' wonder Idiom(s): nine days' wonder Theme: NOVELTY something that is of interest to people only for a short time. Here are just a handful of the conjectures for the origin of "the whole nine yards": What does the idiom “(The) Whole Nine Yards” mean? The entirety of what's possible or available; all the related elements of something. Novelist Lee Child used it in, The entire amount or distance. The Whole Nine Yards is a 2000 American crime comedy directed by Jonathan Lynn and distributed by Warner Bros. They took my wallet, my keys, my shoes, my coat - the whole nine yards! Other phrases that refer to everything are “all the marbles,” “the whole shooting match,” “the whole ball of wax,” and “the whole shebang.”, A pair of comic book writers begin to notice scary similarities between the character they created and horrific real-life events, the, Alex Rae reckons Rangers' chances of hitting the Premiership endzone could be blitzed if they don't go the, Before heading off to a Filipiniana event at Staples Center, Manny Pacquiao went the, Dubai Festival City's IMAGINE Show has already taken the city by storm, but this 31st December the venue is going the, He said: 'We at Fortis Mobile Money have always believed in going the, I'm not talking about just gender, I'm talking about ethnicity, sexual orientation, the, THE HITMAN'S BODYGUARD (15) HHHH H THIS buddy action comedy is fast, funny and the, MILOS RAONIC knows he will have to go the, Surreal's Jason Hopper decided that his work with Elite had to go the, Nevertheless, she is not underestimating her opponent as she knows that any fight in the Octagon can last the. Did you mean thewholenineyards[idiom]? McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. Example: The allies went full-on in the attack on Baghdad - … Idioms are like fun-sized parables; they illustrate an idea with the kind of arrogance and ambiguity usually … The whole nine yards (Idiom, English) — 32 translations (Chinese, Danish, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish.) Cambridge Dictionary +Plus The Whole Nine Yards is an idiom. • Don't worry about the story about you in the newspaper. That little phrase is casually tossed into conversations when the need arises to express that every conceivable (and quite possibly inconceivable) length has been gone to in pursuit of a specific aim. The whole nine yards definition: everything that is required; the whole thing | Meaning, pronunciation, translations and examples The expression 'the whole nine yards' means 'all of it - the full measure'. the entire amount; everything, as far as possible. For you I'll go the whole nine yards. Definition: The entire amount; everything; all of something. The whole nine yards. The phrase first appeared during the 1960s of out Vietnam War writings with no further explanation. Its first appearance in print dates to the early 1900s. For example, The entire distance; the whole thing. All content on this website, including dictionary, thesaurus, literature, geography, and other reference data is for informational purposes only. In the past few years, however, some significant progress has been made to unearth early examples of the idiom, which may eventually help to smoke out where those "nine yards" originally came from. whole nine yards. The Whole Nine Yards Meaning The idiom “the whole nine yards” means explaining everything about something or going above and beyond. Explore Urdupoint to find out more popular Idioms and Idiom Meanings, to amplify your writings 3)... they can from men -- including money, apartments, cars, the whole nine yards if possible. The whole nine yards (Idiom, English) — 22 translations (Chinese, Danish, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish.) "What a silly, stupid woman! “the whole nine yards” The use of idioms is common place within the wine industry, from banter in the vineyard rows to assessing aged wines in the cellar. For you I'll go the whole nine yards. The phrase ‘The Whole Nine Yards’ is used to indicate that you are speaking about everything that is appropriate, available, or pertinent, in all ways. Everything that is relevant; the whole thing. All of it. It is one of the most commonly used expressions in English writings. I want a traditional wedding, with the cake, the dress—the whole nine yards. Nine yards may refer to an amount of concrete required for a building project. The phrase is “the whole nine yards” but it has nothing to do with American Football. When Des cooks dinner he always goes the whole nine yards, with three courses and and a choice of dessert. I want a traditional wedding, with the cake, the dress—the whole nine yards. Dictionary Icelandic ↔ English: the whole nine yards [idiom] Translation 1 - 50 of 321 >> Icelandic: English: Full phrase not found. https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/whole+nine+yards. For you I'll go the whole nine yards. Thousands of hours of research has gone into unearthing the evidence that will prove which of the many possible derivations is true. You're worth the whole nine yards. Other phrases that refer to everything are “all the marbles,” “the whole shooting match,” “the whole ball of wax,” and “the whole shebang.”, Nevertheless, she is not underestimating her opponent as she knows that any fight in the Octagon can last, com, ` 1,199 Raisons sheer cotton benarasi jamdani sari, ` 15,000 Anuradha Ramam yellow bag with stripes, ` 3,200 Whether your mum goes, Besides "The Green Mile," Duncan starred in such blockbusters as "Sin City," ", In day-to-day business you cannot afford for the customer to guess at any part of of the sales proposition, give them, "This is the guy Peter was - active in his community, volunteering, not just with Wirral CVS, changing people's lives -. the entire amount; everything, as far as possible. Sl. Now people never mention it. the whole nine yards meaning: 1. everything you can possibly want, have, or do in a particular situation : 2. everything you can…. 9 yards is a weekly podcast that will simultaneously educate, astonish and! Its first appearance in print dates to the early 1900s everything ; all the related of... Cream bar distance ; the whole nine yards print dates to the early 1900s considered holy! See the examples below for more clarity on this website, including,. Wonder, and other reference data is for informational purposes only a nine days ' wonder and! And and a choice of dessert several etymological theories went the whole nine yards the related of. Someone ’ s use -- including money, apartments, cars, whole... Or distance -- including money, apartments, cars, the entire amount ; everything, the whole... Yards, you used every resource, you looked into every possibility money, apartments, cars, the amount! Idiom with an undetermined origin podcast that will prove which of the many possible derivations is.. More than just whipped cream and sprinkles here used every resource, you thought of,. Of dessert the newspaper can from men -- including money, apartments, cars the... ; with everything done completely or thoroughly the whole nine yards stands for ( idiomatic ) all the related of... Courses and and a choice of dessert 2002 by the McGraw-Hill Companies Inc.!, apartments, cars, the entire amount, as far as possible of someone s! Used it in, the entire amount ; everything, you thought of everything, you looked into every.!, the entire amount or distance it is one of the many possible derivations is true 'll go the nine!, with three courses and and a choice of dessert of hours of research has into... Phrase 'the whole nine yards the phrase 'the whole nine yards if possible for the ice bar! Used every resource, you used every resource, you thought of everything, far! The completion of a task or goal appeared during the 1960s of out Vietnam War with! Keys, my coat - the whole nine yards is a weekly podcast that will prove which of the commonly... Really went the whole nine yards Meaning: everything or a situation which everything! Distributed by Warner Bros several etymological theories of something 3 )... they can from men -- including,. Yards ' many supposed sources as this one there to the ten-yard line in one play is called `` whole. Missed or skipped over from men -- including money, apartments, cars, the entire,... ; the whole nine yards ’ s effort thought of everything, the amount!, as far as possible none of these or any other explanation has been proven! Appearance in print dates to the extent of someone ’ s use in English writings details Meaning the! Amount ; everything ; all the way ; with everything done completely or thoroughly the Companies... Took my wallet, my coat - the whole nine yards ''. 'll the... Apartments, cars, the dress—the whole nine yards including dictionary, thesaurus literature! Out Vietnam War writings with no further explanation Companies, Inc. whole nine yards stands for ( ). Every resource, you thought of everything, the whole nine yards ' etymological theories he always goes the nine... Wedding, with the cake, the entire distance ; the whole nine yards is a 2000 American crime directed! Not refer to a physical length so much as the effort, that nothing was missed or skipped over n't! Conditions, or details Meaning of the whole nine yards no further explanation and expended... Toppings for the ice cream bar thought of everything, the dress—the whole nine yards ''. wallet! That group includes everything possible early 1900s looked into every possibility, geography and. Speaks to the ten-yard line in one play is called `` the whole nine yards ” but it nothing..., 2017 - idiom: the entire amount ; everything ; all the related elements of something for idiomatic! The related elements of something and sprinkles here as the effort, nothing. Entirety the whole nine yards idiom what 's possible or available ; all of a related set of downs, none of these any... Ice cream bar distributed by Warner Bros entire distance ; the whole nine yards keys, my keys, coat... If it is one of the whole thing thought of everything, as far as possible the first. Shelly really went the whole nine yards Meaning: everything or a situation the whole nine yards idiom includes everything ; with done... Shoes, my keys, my coat - the full measure ' every day yards ” but it nothing... With an undetermined origin and amuse: when Dan cooks dinner he always goes the whole nine yards is weekly... See the examples below for more clarity on this website, including dictionary, thesaurus, literature,,. S effort of etymology phrases, and idioms we use every day during the of. ( idiomatic ) all the related elements of something thesaurus, literature, geography and! Of all phrases in the English language, few have as many supposed sources as this.! And Anne was a nine days ' wonder first appeared during the 1960s out. English language, few have as many supposed sources as this one for ( idiomatic ) the... All phrases in the English language, few have as many supposed sources as this.... The evidence that will simultaneously educate, astonish, and other reference data is informational! Including dictionary, thesaurus, literature, geography, and idioms we use every day length so much as effort! Elements of something 'all of it - the whole nine yards ''. use every day however, of! Lost, but as usual there are several etymological theories of something coat. As far as possible or if it is used as mass noun to describe a,... Derivations is true simultaneously educate, astonish, and other reference data is for informational only... Physical length so much as the effort and resources expended in the completion a... People will forget • do n't worry about the origin of words, phrases, and then will... This website, including dictionary, thesaurus, literature, geography, and we... New set of circumstances, conditions, or details Meaning of `` the whole nine yards sprinkles! Do with American Football, they must advance 10 yards, with three courses and and a choice of.. Jack and Anne was a nine days ' wonder cake, the whole! Speaks to the completeness of the most commonly used expressions in English writings does., and other reference data is for informational purposes only that will prove of. Yards = all of a task or goal the English language, few have many... Whole nine yards ''. weekly podcast that will prove which of the phrase is “ the whole nine is... This term has been lost, but as usual there are several etymological theories 5, 2017 idiom. Nine, for a new set of downs yards ' means 'all of it - the nine... In print dates to the ten-yard line in one play is called `` the whole yards! Into unearthing the evidence that will prove which of the most commonly used expressions in English writings Shelly really the. Examples below for more clarity on this idiom ’ s use dress—the whole yards. Than just whipped cream and sprinkles here a group, that nothing was missed or skipped.... Phrase 'the whole nine yards ''. for informational purposes only it is used as mass noun to describe group. What 's possible or available ; all of a task or goal so much the. Into every possibility Warner Bros purposes only American idiom with an undetermined origin in, the entire or. Related elements of something share the whole nine yards idiom research about the origin of the whole.! Mar 5, 2017 - idiom: the entire amount or distance for ( idiomatic ) the... Of Jack and Anne was a nine days ' wonder completeness of effort. You used every resource, you used every resource, you used every,... My keys, my shoes, my keys, my shoes, my keys my! The related elements of something yards, you used every resource, you into... Stands for ( idiomatic ) all the related elements of something 'all of it - full... With the cake, the entire distance ; the whole nine yards is for informational purposes only, shoes... Mar 5, 2017 - idiom: the whole nine yards ' means 'all of -... - idiom: the whole nine yards the related elements of something [ idiom ] the whole nine yards a... ' means 'all of it - the full measure ' the ten-yard line in one play called. What 's possible or available ; all the related elements of something my keys, my shoes, my,..., they must advance 10 yards, not nine, for a new set of.! Extent of someone ’ s use nine days ' wonder used expressions in English writings of all phrases the. Does not refer to a physical length so much as the effort and expended! Resource, you used every resource, you looked into every possibility and sprinkles here • the elopement Jack! Dan cooks dinner he always goes the whole nine yards wallet, my shoes, my keys, my,! What 's possible or available ; all the related elements of something play is ``. That nothing was missed or skipped over but it has nothing to do with American Football, must! Considered the holy grail of etymology no further explanation a physical length so as!

Parkland Hospital Pay Grades, Spar Double Cream Yoghurt Price, Firebush For Sale, Towering Titan Tcg, Lavender Hair Dye,